- Members of the Community (approximately 10 vocal people who come regularly to Board meetings calling themselves Coalition for Blaine County School District Financial Accountability) are calling for the addition of administration to the District Office in the form of a Treasurer despite an independent auditor indicating that everything is above board and ethical in Blaine County.
- Board Member Elizabeth Corker demanded a Financial Advisory Committee(FAC) to advise the Board on Financial/Budget issues when she took her seat on the Board. The FAC was formed began meeting in the Fall of 2014. Recently the FAC discussed and voted down the addition of a Treasurer position and now Ms. Corker is proposing revamping the committee to exclude ALL staff members from the committee. This member was also attempting to fast track this committee change with a special Board meeting to “get it approved.”
- Board members have been heard at the Board table saying they don’t want to hear from staff regarding budget issues and policy because they represent the taxpayers. Watch the last 15 minutes of the October 13, 2015 Board Meeting to hear Ms. Corker and other Trustees discuss this issue.
- Ms. Corker has also called for a review of the policy regarding how the Board revises policy. Currently the Board Policies are reviewed by a standing policy committee with BCEA Members on it. The proposed revisions would “streamline” the policy review process and further exclude staff members from the policy process.
- Finally, Ms. Corker is calling for the addition of expensive programs such as AVID at a cost of $30,000/year to the High School.
What is happening is clear! We, the staff of Blaine County, are being squeezed out of the process. Ms. Corker is attempting to sabotage the democratic processes. Maritt Wolfrom, Co-President of the Association stood up and spoke truth to power at last night’s Board Meeting challenging the entire Board of Trustees to not discount staff from these processes. You can see her comments on the Board's Webcast October 13, 2015 Board Meeting beginning at 2 hours and 22 minutes. The meeting went on for another hour and Board members debated several of these issues. Keep watching!
Now we need you to act. We need to PACK the Board Room and flood the email’s of Board Members. Know that we have members on the Board that want hear from us! As taxpayers, parents, and voters we do have a voice and the Board does have to listen to us! Let's make our voice heard too! Be sure to attend a community budget meeting or your school’s budget meeting! Please commit to attending the November 17, 2015 Regular Board Meeting.